The sun is out, the apple and pear blossoms are springing to life, and the wildflowers are bursting at the buds! It's time for our very Bavarian celebration of spring - Maifest! - the perfect way to celebrate Mother's Day weekend!
FRIDAY, MAY 9:
- All weekend long enjoy Village Art in the Park and Climb for Fun's bouncy houses and climbing wall!
- Enjoy traditional German music by AlpenFolk and make a Bavarian hat or ribbon crown (5-8pm)! At 6pm the Tirolean Dancers will teach a traditional German dance!
SATURDAY, MAY 10:
- Fuel up at the Lion's Club breakfast (7-11am) before making your way to the Cascade Garden Club's annual plant sale (8am-2pm)!
- The Bavarian-inspired “Festzug” (or Grand March) at 12pm will feature the German Medieval Knights of Veritas, Bernese Mountain Dogs, horse-drawn wagons, a few classic Porsches, some local goats, the townsfolk dressed in their Bavarian best, and much more!
- Following the Festzug, the Tirolean Dancers will perform a traditional Maibaum Dance - gracefully weaving colorful ribbons around the maipole in the center of town - and in the afternoon they will teach a traditional German dance and perform again!
- The Knights of Veritas will have German Medeival antiques and replicas on display, and will perform a 60-minute longsword battle presentation and mini trebuchet demonstration!
- 356 Group Northwest will have their classic Porsches on display - German design at its best!
- The "Bavaria's Best Dressed" contest will honor those dressed in their Bavarian best with prizes for participants in each age category!
- Leavenworth's Rotary Club will draw the winner for a trip for two to Bavaria!
- Throughout town find live German music by AlpenFolk and Musikkapelle Leavenworth, a Mother's Day recycled craft hosted by Icicle Arts, Leavenworth's famous hanging flower baskets , and a station where you can make your own "Leavenworthy" basket!
SUNDAY, MAY 11:
- Celebrate spring and Mom with a free gift for moms, music by AlpenFolk, and additional dance performances (including a repeat Maibaum Dance at 12pm) and lessons by the Tirolean Dancers!
(A full schedule can be found at right.)
As with any trip to Leavenworth, don't forget to make time to enjoy the great outdoors and a stroll through the village shops and restaurants—all set amidst the beauty of the blooming Cascade Mountains!
Now that’s how we say “willkommen” to spring! Join us!